Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Weaning...

an older baby is so hard! Hunter has been nursing on one side for about 10 months now and I think I am ready to wean him. I have an appointment coming up with my doctor to check my prolactin levels in a month and make sure my pituitary tumor (which developed after my first miscarriage) has not grown while breastfeeding. I'm so glad I was able to have 18 months because I had one doctor tell me I could never breastfeed, I changed doctors, and the new one,(one of the nations top prolactin/pituitary tumor endocrinologists at Vanderbilt) he told me most likely I could never breastfeed or if I did, it wouldn't be for long at all. Because I have a benign tumor called a prolactinoma, it is very much affected by the prolactin levels in my body and had grown last time I stopped my meds. Now, with my favorite of all my three pituitary docs, he told me I would be fine most likely. He has checked my levels before during and now after to make sure they were consistent with a breastfeeding woman and not way out of range and I will hopefully go back on my medication with no problems. I was instructed to watch for headaches, vision problems and other signs that the tumor might be growing. What I realized is that the doctors had little experience following a nursing woman that had developed a small pituitary tumor and really they did not know what would happen. I just really wanted to breastfeed and I found a doctor who had the exact same vision. Last year when I went for a checkup at 6 months in, he never pressured me to quit, he just made sure I listened to my body. So needless to say I'm so happy that I was able to do exactly what I wanted to do for these last 18 months. But the time has come that I wean him now and get back on my medication.

Hunter has been very irritated by Mommy's decision. I read all about how to wean an older child and they really work. Hunter understands alot and he can ask to nurse. So to take his security and comfort away is and will continue to be difficult. I'm so glad I found small tips that help. So here are some methods I'm using to wean him this week:

1. I first talked to Gabby and explained to her that Hunter is getting bigger and he won't be getting Mommy's milk any longer. Since Hunter idolizes her and nursing him is as much a part of her routine as his, I wanted her to understand first. She could help to encourage his new "big boy status" and build his confidence.

2. I then began to tell him that he was getting to be a big boy and Mommy's milk would soon be going bye-bye. He was a big boy now and could drink out of a sippy cup.

3. When he asks depending on how full I am, I use the "don't offer, don't refuse" unless he has just nursed, then if he asks, I try to distract him with cuddles, snuggles, rocking, play time with Mommy or a warm bottle. He still has pitched several all out fits but that is bound to happen as he is fearful of being more independent. I just try to snuggle more with him as I've read weaning mamas can avoid touch fearful it will make baby want to nurse again. He needs constant reassurance during this time.

4. I carry him everywhere I can and constantly soothe him in other ways.

So far, so good! I'm hoping by the end of the week I'll be done. It is hard to separate in this way as nursing has been such an integral part of our relationship. However I look forward to bonding in other ways. But weaning is hard on both mama and baby and anything to ease the transition was helpful for me!

1 comment:

  1. I got a helpful tip from a fellow blogger. She put bandaids over her nipples and told her son that "mommy had owies". I used a similar approach with my DD and it worked great. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin