I did want to pass on the story of little Kayleigh. She lost her earthly battle last night and went to the Lord to live for eternity. Since her father did go visit Abby in the hospital, I began to read their story and it is touching. Say a prayer for their family as they go home to an empty crib after watching Kayleigh fight for her life for 11 months in the NICU. She was born three months early and weighed just over a pound. It breaks my heart. Here is their blog: http://kayleighannefreeman.blogspot.com/
My nephew, Gavin, was born three months early as well and weighed right under two pounds. He was born in July and was home for his first Thanksgiving four months later. I saw him the night he was born and he was so tiny. I remember just staring at him and wanting him to keep fighting. I went to visit him in the NICU as often as I could and took so many pictures of him. I was quite the proud aunt!
This was way before Rob and I even had kids and I had become so attached to Gavin. In fact it was shortly after my first miscarriage that Rob's sister got pregnant. At that point in my life, seeing pregnancy was hard for me but I fell in love with the little guy from day one and watched his tiny little body continue to fight through many major eye surgeries as he had retinopathy of prematurity.
We spent Thanksgiving with Jenn and Marc right after he was discharged from the NICU and when Jenn handed him to me to hold for the very first time with no cords attached, it was so surreal and I had to fight back the tears. I will never forget that moment. He lost the battle with his eyesight but won the battle of survival. He continues to amaze us everyday and nearly blew me away when he started talking as we weren't sure he would ever be able to communicate with words. Life is a challenge for Gavin in a way that so many of us take for granted. Yet he celebrates with an adorable laugh and loving hands. His sweet smile is infectious and he always has a hug for you.
We have always had such a special relationship. I kept him for several months when Jenn went back to work and it was so fun and amazingly peaceful. I would rock him and sing to him for hours. My time alone with Gavin was particularly healing for me. I had longed to hold a baby and keeping him knowing I was forever going to be in his life as his aunt was so wonderful. He was such a sweet baby and man did he love to bounce, almost as much as he loved his music. From very early on, he developed an acute sense of musicality.
He is a kind, sweet and loving little boy and I continue to be able to connect with him on a very intimate level as a young boy now. I love singing and dancing with him. Part of the reason that Gavin and I are so close is that Jenn and Marc let us in to a very private place in their hearts during that time. We saw him minutes after he was born and we were one of the very few allowed to come see him in the NICU alone. I watched both of them grieve on a very personal level in very different ways. They were raw and unexposed but allowed Rob and I in. That has always meant alot and I have always been thankful to take that personal journey alongside them. You can also find their blog in my sidebar at All About Mister Gavin. Although I cannot pretend to know the heartache as a parent of a NICU baby, I know that I love my sweet nephew with all my heart, which makes my heart ache so much more for tiny little Kayleigh who lost her fight last night after almost eleven months in the NICU.
Say a prayer for Kayleigh's parents tonight~



I know this is heartbreaking!!!
ReplyDeletePraying for this sweet family...You sound like a proud aunt how blessed you are to have Gavin!
hugs,leslie
It is so hard to even begin to think of losing a child before you go to be with our great Father. Our thoughts and prayers are so with Kayleigh's family. special cyber hugs to all, Rhonda
ReplyDeleteI was crying halfway through this! What sweet words about our son! He definitely loves his aunt and we were so very blessed to know he was well taken care of when he was so fragile those months you stayed with him. That is something I'll never forget or be able to fully thank you for. I will say a prayer for Kayleigh's family for sure. Thanks for such a beautiful tribute to that time in G's life. He's a blessed boy to have such a wonderful extended family!
ReplyDelete