.jpg)
Support breastfeeding! It is a wonderful way to nurture the relationship between mother and newborn. They can smell, hear and sense comfort and security. A newborn is meant not to lay in the plastic crevices of carseats and bouncers but in the arms of his mother and father. Birth for a newborn is as shocking for them as it is for us. They have been catapulted from the rhythmic comfort of the womb only to be bombarded with new sights, sounds and smells. To lay in a mother's arms and listen to her heartbeat while getting the nourishment they crave nestled in warmth and security is the best way for a newborn to adjust to the surroundings. Not only does it help to establish a baby's sense of rhythm, but responding to your baby's cues is the best way to nurture your relationship. It is the pillar of attachment parenting.
Sadly, I have had people laugh or snicker when I was breastfeeding as if I would not notice but it never stopped me from breastfeeding in public or even in small groups of people. Thankfully I had such a good support group and Wendy definately gave me the support and encouragement to continue because it is extremely painful during the first six weeks.
It goes hand in hand with babywearing. Please read this great article on the benefits of babywearing
Here is the starting point for discovering the form of parenting that encourages touch and intuition. Dr. Sears' Attachment Parenting! This is a great book!
Go here to see it!
And here are the 7 benefits of attachment parenting
And finally here to read about all the glorious benefits of breastfeeding!
Please keep in mind that formula feeding in terms of attachment parenting can reap benefits if treated the same. In my first attachment parenting post, I wrote about "bottle nursing" and the benefits of holding, cradling, carrying, and singing to the baby while utilizing this type of nursing. We gave Gabriella formula and always held her, sang to her and Rob and I both carried her quite alot both in Guatemala and at home. We co-bathed often when she was a baby and I have even given Gabby breastmilk in a cup since nursing Hunter. Nutritionally, its unsurpassed.
Supprt breastfeeding both for nutrition and attachment!

Im glad you threw in that part about adopted babies and nurturing..
ReplyDeleteI NEVER breastfeed my 2 older kids...of course i was 19-20 yrs old so it never crossed my mind!!!! I did BF my son for 5 days and IT WAS HORRIBLE so i quit but i did do it!!! Im pretty sure im no less of a mommy then someone who did....
Leslie, you are an incredible Mom! I think we all have to choose the path thats best for us. We gave Gabs formula but always tried to hold her while doing so. With Hunter, I had never even explored breastfeeding much and those first couple of days were like torture or something :)so painful! I just want to give people information about attachment parenting in the best way I know how but each and every situation is different.
ReplyDeletePlus as adopted mamas, we may not have been able to breastfeed, but we bonded in other ways that biological babies cannot like traveling to another country and learning to parent and bond upon meeting. I will say that Rob bonded faster with Gabriella because he could satisfy her needs for nourishment. Breastfeeding is often very isolating. There were times I felt so responsible for his care.
I'm glad I've done both because I think it gives me great perspective.