Friday, August 14, 2009

Realization

Parenting is hard. It is exhausting and sometimes a day feels like a week. I know this, but what I did not know is the amount of pull our children have on us. Hunter's birthday left me feeling on edge, humbled, emotional and just plain raw. I was so emotional that weekend which you think might surprise my husband, however, he doesn't flinch, and always says, thats just how my baby is. I guess after seven years, he knows me all too well.

I just honestly could not really believe my son was here and that a year had passed. Time begins to pick up speed and with each child, it moves a little more like warp speed.

On top of this, I have been having trouble with discipline with my spirited 3 year old. I have stopped spanking almost completely but each confrontation leaves me in the same place which further culminated when I was out with Wendy at the mall. Every time I am left feeling frustrated, alone, worn down and negative. Mostly though, I felt OUT OF CONTROL.

I came home the other day and read all I could about natural and logical discipline, general discipline, time-outs, consistency in discipline, parenting in public, and positive discipline.

Let me tell you that I felt like I could relate to every mom's story I read. Yes, there are other little girls who act just like sweet Gabby. It made me feel connected, positive, happy, eager for consistency and most importantly, in control. Gabby is just like every other three year old, exploring boundaries and I sometimes take it too personally.

So I will still make mistakes, but I sure do feel better and more educated. I encourage all mothers to do the same. Educate yourselves~It feels good to know we are not navigating this crazy world of parenting alone.

In other news, after seven years, Rob and I joined a church!!! Yeah! We are so excited to find a church home that our kids can grow and flourish and that Rob and I can pursue our own relationship with Christ, serve, enjoy fellowship with other couples and come together to praise and worship our Lord. We enjoyed sharing our testimony on our journey to Christ and learning more about the church.

"I am leaving you with a gift-peace of mind and heart! And the peace I give isn't fragile like the world gives. So don't be troubled or afraid." John 14:27

And lastly, Gabby and Hunter will be getting a new cousin next year! Very exciting!


4 comments:

  1. Parenting is indeed a book full of emotions and as I have found you have to really parent each child somewhat differently based on their needs and personality. I often joke that had Emily (our baby) been the first, our family may have already complete! She is very independent and spirited beyond spirit and does things HER way WHEN she wants to! It definitely has made me dig into tons of parenting books but ultimately it still came down to "consistent" time outs and then did work for our other three. She is the "drama" child and prone to "melt downs". Honestly, if we're out at all (and I do limit them as she in in the "try my patience" mode these days), we leave or if both hubby and I are out and she does this, one of us takes her out to the car and she sits there until she pulls herself together. Often I have found it's more of a matter of redirecting her when she has melt downs or when she in in the "why and NO" stage and I try to turn it around to more of a "play or game" and then ultimately I get the results that we should have had without the drama!!! She just requires way more challenge to parenting than our other three! Email me if you want to ever chat or give a call (I'm home most days).

    Congrats on finding a church. I think we've finally have made up our minds on one too!!!

    Keep your chin up and give those two gorgeous kiddo's a huge hug from us.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you say time goes by faster with your second child then I don't know what I'll do...Mt little guy will be a year in a month and it has gone so fast as it is. I'd love for you to share some of the books or websites you found that encouraged you. I've got a couple of sites I check out and am already reading some books to get prepared for what's coming up. It is encouraging to know that you' re not alone on this parenting journey. So great that you found a church to go to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get soo sad when my children have a bday....its soooo hard to let them get older!!! My oldest will be 17 next year..YIKES i want to cry just thinking about this!!!! *TEARS*

    The world of Mommy is sooo hard and i think each and every child is sooo different just find what works and go with it!!!! I praying for ya sista!

    CONGRATS on the new church we need to join one soooo bad....I hope we do by winter!!

    hugs,leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree...parenting is indeed a huge job. Although, it can be very rewarding when we see our children grow into the little people that that they will become....birthdays are truly a win/lose day for me....I am happy for them but sad for me....my babies are growing up - which means that I am too!! :) I love your new page!! I am not sure when you changed it up - I have been such a slacker on our blog...I have a new addiction to facebook. I am on it far too much! Your kids are so stinkin' cute!! Keep up the good work, Mama!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin