Thursday, June 26, 2008

When it Rains...

This week has been long already and it is not over. I've had four doctor's appointments in three days. On Tuesday, I went to see my OB and Hunter is doing well. On Wednesday, I went to see my endocrinologist because I have a pituitary tumor and have been off my medication since the minute I found out I was pregnant. It is a small benign prolactinoma that developed after my first miscarriage.

I will have to stay on my medication forever unless I have surgery to get it removed but as long as I take my medicine, all is well. I just have yearly MRI's to make sure it has not grown which it did do when I went off my medicine last time for a short time when we were pregnant before. So I go in and they check my blood pressure and pulse rate. My pulse was almost 150 and the nurse almost sent me to the ER. He wouldn't record that number so he made me relax and retested.

It went down but not by much and he was very concerned. Keep in mind my blood pressure was great! Then my endocrinologist told me that he was concerned that I wanted to have a vaginal birth because when the pituitary is enlarged so much during the pregnancy, the stress of pushing can cause the tumor to bleed and in some cases hemorrage. He is worried that I will pop blood vessels in the tumor with such high amounts of stress. So he faxed a recommendation over to my OB for a C-section. Well, my OB's office called yesterday and I talked with him and he was very concerned about my high pulse rate and made me come in today to see if it was still high.

SO, I met with my nutritionist this morning and learned how to check my blood sugar which I must do FOUR times a day. They have to verify the nutrition therapy is working. After 8 strips and numerous pricks, I finally realized that you must not take the strips out before drawing the blood.

Then off to the OB's office again where my pulse was still extremely high and the doctor told me to stay relaxed because he was afraid I might pass out if it gets higher. He drew a TON of blood to check a bunch of things from thyroid function to anemia and then its back again on Tuesday to see him.

On top of all this, I go off all my hormones and baby aspirin on July 1st so I'm getting nervous about that. I have been a big ball of emotions which probably doesn't help the pulse rate. My nurse just told me to relax as much as I can and keep movement to a minimum.

But the great thing is that Hunter is doing awesome and I'm just trying to picture myself on a tropical beach somewhere and relax. Haha, easier said than done!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Mera - what a week. I'm so sorry! I'm praying for you right now. Everything goes SO WHACK when our bodies have babies in them! Please keep us posted. You do know you shouldn't be doing ANYTHING ANYTHING ANYTHING but concentrating on growing that baby. No cleaning, no nesting, no nothing. Leave the dishes, leave the laundry, leave it all. Play with Gabbi and relax. I'm sure you're hearing all that but do it! Praying for you and your family now! LOVE YOU! The Lord has brought you all to this miraculous point, and He'll get you through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, Mera, you have had a tough week! It is food to know that Hunter is well...I guess you should just *gulp* "relax and not move around much" - that's a lot easier said than done, eh?! Especially with a 2 yr old...I will check back to see how everything is going. Keep us updated and I'll talk with you later.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you and praying for you right now.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin