Okay so Hunter is now exclusively in cloth and loving it. Unfortunately, divalicious won't have anything to do with the bulk of cloth and hates it. So since we are starting potty training anyway, I didn't push it. But every day I ask her to just try Hunter's fun diapers hoping she will change her mind. She loves the fun covers but hates the actual diaper on.
But it is so user friendly...really it is! I thought I would not be able to handle the germ factor but I don't even touch the poopy diapers. I just toss them in the pail and launder at the end of the day. You wash them on hot and do a double rinse. They come out sparkling clean!
Here is a great summation of the benefits of cloth diapering
http://www.diapersafari.com/diaperinfo/whyclothdiapers/
After the troubles we have had with fertility, I wanted Hunter to never have to face them. If only I had known about the benefits sooner, I would have had Gabby in them from the beginning. Sodium polyacrylate and dioxin are extremely toxic not to mention the bleaching process and the lack of air. Disposables are almost like mini potties and some parents treat them as such.
I do one extra load of laundry every 1-2 days, thats it! To think I am not littering the landfill with diapers that take so long to decompose and its much cheaper, wow a win win situation.
Originally I thought I would do disposables out and about and cloth at home. Now I can't even stand to use disposables so he is in cloth all the time. I hate that Gabby has used them so long so I got M&M's for full time potty training starting tomorrow. Then I hope to put her in organic cotton training pants.
I digress, I wanted to tell you some of my faves for anyone out in cyberland that may want to just try it out. Really it is so easy even Rob can do it now with little hassle. Well almost! ;)
There are many types, the first is the old stand-by of a prefold and a cover. By far the cheapest alternative. You can use whats called a Snappi instead of a pin to keep the diaper together. I have the Indian prefolds which cost $1.50 and are SO absorbent they last all night with no leaks at all and the more they hit the washer, the more absorbent they are. Then you put a cover on, my favorite are the Thirstys covers in cute fun colors and the Bummis Super Whisper Wraps, also in cute patterns. The covers I have all velcro by the way, super easy!
Then instead of the pre-folds, you can get contoured diapers which have a better shape and are less bulky than the Indian prefolds. I love the Kissaluvs contoured although it does take several washings to build up absorbency. These can be secured using a Snappi and must have a cover. I also have the Kissaluvs snap diapers which need a cover but stay snapped shut so no need for a Snappi.
Then there are the pocket one size diapers. You just slide in your choice of the two inserts that come with it in the pocket and you are ready to go. I LOVE Happy Heineys and BumGenius, they both come with two inserts that you can use with prefolds or contours for nighttime use and are even that much less bulky than the contoured diapers with cover. Plus they look , fit and feel like a disposable. They velcro, stretch and fit the same way. Very Daddy friendly, I always have these available for Rob or for outings. All you do is pull out the pocket insert and toss in the pail for washing when dirty.
Then there is the all in one diaper. No inserts, no prefolds, no nothing. Just one diaper. I don't have any of these although I would love to try Happy Heineys or Fuzzibunz or Bum Genius. There are so many brands and types so you have to find out what you like and can afford. I order from http://www.cottonbabies.com/ and they are super fast shippers. They offer a great starter package that I tried with six prefolds and two covers for like thirty something dollars. This will get you through one day. I was hooked after this. I also order from Barefoot Eco.
Another thing about cloth is that they are super soft, oh so soft on your baby's skin. Especially Kissaluvs. I use only the unbleached cotton or organic cotton. I bought some organic doublers to use with the Kissaluvs contours so Hunter has the organic cotton next to his skin. They were much cheaper than buying the entire organic cotton diaper. But they are all unbleached so they don't have yucky dyes.
So I encourage you to try it, so easy and so good for your pocketbook, your baby and the environment. Plus How cute is Hunter in his red Thirsty's cover I ask you??
Saturday, January 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've never tried cloth diapers. I am earth friendly in every other way with my kids, they eat organic, semi- vegetarian (I am full vegetarian, and like Rob, my husband eats the extra on my behalf, lol), but I've always been scared of the cloth diaper. You make it sound not so bad. Where do you buy them, and what kind would you recommend for 1 1/2 year old super soaker? You mentioned a lot of types, but anything to save money and trash sounds great to me! Thanks for the great post.
ReplyDeletewell i have to admit i want abby OUT of any kind of diapers......wish me luck im working on training this week....and good luck 2 u you!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are always full of great info!
luv,leslie
WOW, I think even I could have handled that! Thankfully we are now at the very END of our "diapering" days!!!! At least, that is what I keep reminding Miss Emily!!!
ReplyDelete