Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

As usual, I can't sleep as it is 2:30 AM and I'm munching on these yummy chocolates Rob's sister Jenn bought me for Mother's Day. Well Happy Mother's Day to some incredible Moms out there including all my friends and family. I wanted to share a little about what makes my mom so special so I thought I would just tell you some fun facts about her so you can get to know her a little better.

Here is a list of some awesome things about my mom that makes her so special and unique:

1. My mother is extremely accomplished in all that she has done over her lifetime. She has successfully started and directed several dance and gymnastics studios both in Alabama and here in Nashville. She has published a book, modeled, been in several commercials, taught ESL, recently became certified as an EMT, she is certified as a Search and Rescue Trainer and Tracking Specialist, an antique dealer, a director of HR for a large hospital here in Nashville and recently been on three different mission trips to Central America. Whew, I can't keep up! Whats so great is that she was always very involved in our schools and sports functions growing up. I really don't know how she did it.

2. My mom can make anyone feel so special. She has a unique ability to appeal to all different types of people and makes people feel like they have known her for years. When Rob and I visited her at the hospital, Mom introduced us to everyone from the custodian and cafeteria ladies who were just raving about her to the upper management of the hospital. She has always been like that.

3. My mom is not scared to try anything new or meet anyone. She would join any club, try a new sport or join a new organization and as I used to tell Wendy, have them all over for a dinner party by the end of the first meeting. She radiates personality and sincerity.

4. My mom never gossips, ever! If I am frustrated about someone or something, she tries to help me understand why they may have acted a certain way or shed new light on a very dim situation. She just does not have anything bad to say about anyone.

5. We were introduced to many different cultures at a very young age. Both my parents believed in traveling and because my mom was an ESL teacher, we would have students over to the house from India, Turkey and France. We had exchange students for many summers and have traveled extensively in the U.S. and abroad. I think that made International Adoption so natural for me.

6. She is a lot of fun! We always have great fun in our shopping ventures no matter where we end up. I hope to share this with Gabby as well.

7. Gabby adores my mom and loves to be with her. She is extremely intuitive in her parenting and always helps me understand why Gabby may have acted a certain way. I tend to be spontaneous and act quickly and Mom always helps me understand where she is coming from.

8. She always let me me be who I wanted to be. I kid Mom about this now but my Mom let me dress exactly how I wanted to and was nicknamed Punky for my bold fashion choices in sixth grade but she never wanted to suppress my creativity or imagination even when it came to clothing.

9. She always treats my Dad with respect, admiration and grace. Watching that as I grew up has helped me be a better wife. She always ushered us to the door when he came home and made sure we spent time with him at night. She always tried to create a relaxed environment for him at home and this has parlayed into our marriage. I find myself acting the same way with Rob making sure he is fed, relaxed and that Gabby is able to share time with him every night. After you have children, it is important to make sure your husband feels loved as well. She used to tell me never forget your husband after kids come along.

10. My mom has always worked hard to be healthy, physically fit and in shape. Right now with my bulging belly growing, I am keenly aware of getting my pre-kids body back. I want to be able to run around with my kids and be in shape just like my Mom was with us. Plus she modeled as we were growing up and taught modeling so she always looked radiant and beautiful.

Thanks Mom for setting such a great example not only in character but in family ethics as well! I love you very much! Happy Mother's Day!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a great mom!!! I hope you have a great day. Oh, I am ALWAYS awake at 2AM, what's up with that???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Mera - you are so right about all of this! Your mom is an incredible person and is a fantastic role model. You did neglect to mention one important thing, though. One of the greatest things about your mom is that she and your dad have raised such fantastic children! Happy Mother's Day to a wonderful mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...what a sweet post!!! That is so wonderful:-) I hope you had a wonderful and amazing Mother's Day!!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom sounds like an amazing woman... I have a feeling that you follow in her foot steps. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin