Monday, January 21, 2008

Here is an Updated Response from the Producer

UPDATE - Producer Benita Noel responds to comments:
Sadly, I can assure you that these children were indeed kidnapped -- and that they were offered for adoption. When you watch our story on Sunday, you will understand how it happened. By telling the Galicia family's story, we are by no means implying that all adoptions are corrupt. During the course of putting this story together, I was repeatedly touched by the great joy and love that adoptive parents have brought to so many lucky Guatemalan children. I also believe that for the most part, the safeguards that are designed to circumvent crime do work. But, the reality is that unfortunately there are some corrupt operators who have tried to take advantage of the system. I realize that any discussion about corruption in Guatemalan adoptions is extremely difficult for the thousands of parents in this country who have, or are about to, adopt from Guatemala. I am a mother myself, and I completely understand the inclination to protect those adopted children. Nobody wants to be stigmatized - nobody wants other people to point fingers at their children, or worse, say something to their face, suggesting that because there is some corruption, all adoptions must be tainted. While I was researching this story, many people told me that they wanted to speak up about bad experiences with questionable operators in Guatemala, or unscrupulous agencies here in the U.S., but they were too scared. Some were afraid they would never get their children home if they didn't keep quiet, some were afraid of repercussions from their agencies, and many were afraid of being crucified by other adoptive parents for daring to say anything negative about Guatemalan adoptions. Recently, one family who has been through one traumatic ordeal after another in the course of trying to adopt was actually threatened by someone in Guatemala who promised their baby would never come home if our story aired. There is no excuse for that type of manipulative bullying, particularly when you are dealing with innocent children and emotionally vulnerable adoptive parents. That is the reason I believe that whatever the scope may be, corruption needs to be addressed. To this day, the parents of the kidnapped Galicia girls are devastated. The last time I saw Rodolfo Galicia, the father, he was so distraught he had actually been hospitalized because he can barely eat. Clara Galicia actually contemplated suicide before the two girls pictured above were safely returned home.

1 comment:

  1. Everything about what you two did in the process to bring your daughter home was amazing to us. We talked about it the whole time... how much you knew about the process from tireless researching, the speed at which you finished all of the necessary paperwork out of sheer excitement and determination to have your family together, and the depth of thought you put into how you would handle every step for Gabby's benefit (i.e. info. about her birth mother, her life book, etc). I'm glad you have this blog because you both are an example of how to go about it the responsible and loving way. I'm so glad you guys were able to bring her home before the adoptions were halted there. I pray for those that didn't get that chance. As for the media... it burns me up how we live in an age where information is so accessible, yet people are so willing to accept whatever they hear without researching on their own. News can be so biased and misleading. Good for you for reminding us to look further and showing us such a beautiful reality of adoption and love.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin