Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Record!!!!

Yeah for me, I'm beating all my own records. This is the farthest that I've ever made it in a pregnancy!!!! I really cannot believe it. It seems like it is actually going by pretty fast. I also have been researching nurse-midwifery. There is a group at Vanderbilt that does this very thing. So when I deliver, I would actually be at a hospital. With my history and previous experience using doctors that I knew much more than, it is a worry. Do any of you have any thoughts?
I've always been interested in natural medicine as I feel like our society is much too dependent on quick fixes. Poor Rob, he has been good as he thinks I'm a little looney at times when I get on my organic kicks. He has often said he feels trapped in an episode of Dharma and Greg. He is good to deal with me but I want my daughter and little boo to be interested in helping ourselves and the environment as we can. I've never used scented lotions, shampoos or detergents on Gabby. I use Burt Bees or anything that is mostly organic. I also try to drink organic milk and eat organic meat when possible. I use mineral make-up, anyway you get the idea. If any of you share this interest, I encourage you to read The Truth About Beauty, it really changed my life.
So that being said, I would love to share a birthing experience that is very natural and beautiful. Now I am not opposed to drugs during birth at all. However I just don't want to go in assuming I couldn't do it naturally. I may surprise myself or maybe I might ask for an epidural during the first 20 minutes. Who knows. But most importantly I want my husband and daughter very involved in the birth. I really want Gabriella with me as much as she can. We do not plan to have any more children so this is definately it for us. Two is the perfect number for us and within our financial means. I want us to remember this birth as a family.
However this pregnancy may not be perfect. My sister-in-law delivered at 25 weeks, my friend Jaclyn delivered four weeks early and was hospitalized for high blood pressure so there are risks. Would I feel nervous because I was not in a doctor's hands or they might not be equipped to make fast smart decisions about my health. I am not the "perfect weight" so the possibility of high blood pressure is there as well.
So you see, I am torn. We probably would be fine with a great OB/GYN at Baptist but what if I miss out on an opportunity to deliver with a midwife after having a fairly easy pregnancy. The thing is that nothing about my fertility history has been easy. However I do feel like I have passed the scariest point in this pregnancy and really am feeling like this is it!! Any thoughts? Any one else struggle with this?

2 comments:

  1. I have never used a midwife, but I have lots of friends who have. Midwives will not hesitate to get you to a hospital if they feel like something has come up that they are not equipped to handle. I think the most important thing is to find someone that you are comfortable with and trust!

    One thing I thought of concerning your fertility issues...is there any kind of problem with your cervix where you would have to have a c-section?

    I know you don't know me at all, but I have been following your blog through your adoption process. I feel like I know you and I am sooo excited that you are experiencing a successful pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely do whatever you feel comfortable with, but talk to your ob/gyn. If we could do it again, I'd want a doctor in a hospital just in case because your health and the health of your child are infinitely more important than a beautiful experience. But, then again, I still feel as though I was cheated out of that experience because of the gravity of our situation. If you had a doc that shared your views and would respect your wish to have as natural and holistic experience as you can, then maybe you could have the best of both worlds. I've heard some can be very accomodating. I think it totally depends on who your doc is. But, again, you should listen to all feedback and still only do what YOU want to do no matter what outsiders think. It's yours and Rob's experience. Keep it about you guys. Congratulations on breaking records! I'm so excited to have another niece or nephew!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin