Saturday, April 04, 2009

Why I Am A Homemaker and Proud of It!!!

As most of all you know, we are selling the house. It is a little unsettling, nerve-wracking and anxiety-provoking to say the least. However, we need to cut expenses and this is the easiest way to do this.
My heart is in the home, providing a relaxed calm respite for my husband at the end of a very long day and as a mother and teacher to my children. I strongly believe that God intended this model of homelife. I feel peaceful, happy and relaxed knowing we made this decision for our family. My husband is free to leave the home and provide for our family knowing that I will take care of daily duties, bills, cooking, cleaning and the general oversight of our home and most importantly, our children. They are left in the care of their mother, I am able to nurse Hunter on demand with no rigid scheduling, teach Gabriella, read, do crafts, enjoy our own backyard and plan fun trips to the zoo, museum or wherever we see fit to go and learn that day. It is a privilege to serve the Lord in this way. I want to seek to make my home a place of refuge for my family as my mother did for us.
It came at a cost and it was a financial sacrifice for both Rob and myself, however I think it is one of the best decisions we have made thus far in our marriage. I take more pride in our home, our marriage, our family and the general betterment of our family as a result. Rob and I have both worked very hard, physical, odd houred extremely long shifted jobs since we have been married, both us, him in restaurant and me in retail. This job is still very difficult, but Rob and I are together as a family at night and I can help him relax after he has worked sometimes 12-14 hours delivering kegs all day. He has left the restaurant industry and now has a career with a great company. We no longer pass in the night, not knowing each others schedules even for the next day. When I was at Origins as a manager, I also was in school at night working towards a second Bachelors degree.
I pray we have wisdom to continue to make the best decision for our finances so our children are not left with any debt and we can help them in whatever pursuits may interest them.
I am with my kids all day, we are the ones raising them. For me, that is one of the biggest benefits. Leaving them at daycare or with grandparents (which is definately preferable), I still longed to be with them. It is not for every mother, but for me, I am at peace with being a happy homemaker and feel I am living my dream and thankful that Rob not only agrees with our decision but now sees the benefits of the decision. Rob is not only the leader of our home as my mom would say, there just can't be two heads of a household, but he is first after God. It is and can be easy to let your husband get lost in the shuffle of kids needs and desires but Rob is first. I want to make sure he is happy, well fed and relaxed after being honored and respected for what he does for this family.
So that sums it up, my job is to be a happy, relaxed, Godly wife and mother who can best guide my family by being a home economist to the best of my ability while still encorporating natural living into our daily lives to make every day an environment unencumbered by clutter and stimulated by constant learning. Thats me!


1 comment:

  1. Mera, you are amazing and I hope your husband realizes that too. I am so glad that we were fortunate to have husbands give us the opportunity to be at home wtih our children during the day. blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin